It is thrilling to be able to find help for your business when you need it.
Once your business plan has been completed and your business is up and running, things will go smoothly for a while. Then sooner, rather than later, problems will arise and you will need help. In the spirit of you don’t get ready, you stay ready, prepare a list of resources to depend upon for help before help is actually needed.
There are a myriad of sources entrepreneurs can go to for help. The following is a list of resources I have found particularly helpful:
- Small Business Administration
- SCORE (Society of Retired Executives)
- Local University Business Development Centers
- Local Chambers of Commerce
- Social Media Entrepreneur Groups
- Entrepreneurs you know and respect
- Industry lobbying groups
- Professional associations for your industry
- Local Bar Association
The source of help that will be best for you depends upon your industry. It is important for you to compile a list such of resources like this so that you have them available when you need them. Take time now, when you don’t need them to get the names, addresses and phone numbers for places that can help you at your fingertips so that when you need help you can immediately access it. Most people are a little frazzled and out of sorts when problems occur. Some even resort to panic if the problems are big enough. This is why having all the contact information for several sources of help is a critical part of business operations.
An important part of having places to go for help is knowing when you need help. The times when an entrepreneur needs help will vary based upon the circumstances. The following is a list of some occasions when entrepreneurs may find it useful to get help from an outside source:
- your business is having problems getting or keeping clients
- despite your business’ best efforts you are not able to make a profit
- a competitor steals a trademarked idea or practice
- your business wants to expand operations but don’t know quite how to do so
- your business is having problems retaining quality employees
- your business gets sued
Every business needs help on occasion, it is important to know where to get it and when to ask for help. When you need help, get help as early in the process as possible. Do not wait for things to hit rock bottom.
So, the question for you this thrilling day is, do you have a ready source of help for when your business needs assistance?