The organizers expect 8,000 people to walk through the convention which will have something great for everyone. A few of the events include:
- Commerce and industry show
- Authors’ pavilion
- Local vendor showcase
- Continuing legal education program
- Call to action from the Chairman of the Board
- Plenary sessions to work out how to meet the call to action
- Remarks from President Barak Obama
- Remarks from firmer President William Clinton
- Remarks from Attorney General Loretta Lynch
Of course at the opening press conference, the Rachel D. controversy was raised by members of the media NAACP leaders responded that the organization focuses on issues not individuals. They also reminded us that the NAACP was founded by a group of mostly white people and that race has never been the factor that determined who would lead any of the 2,000 local NAACP branches. Each branch selects its own officers. Today, NAACP chapters are led by black, white and Asian-Americans.
The point of the annual NAACP conventions is not to talk about current events and complain about the lack of progress or to celebrate progress made. The point of the annual conference is to leave with action plans that can be carried out in each of the six priority areas.
Stay tuned for more stories, information and photos.