You can find serenity for your family by spending alone time with each child.
Most parents who have more than one child know that one of the most precious gifts you can give a child is one on one attention. Very often in families with one or more children, parents spend time with children in a group rather than on a one on one basis. When you are part of a multi-child family your children often will get only a very little private time with you. Quality of life in your family will get better if your children feel special, loved and are able to have private time with you.
Being a parent to more than one child is challenging for a variety of reasons including:
- children crave attention
- children want to feel special
- children want to feel their valued
- children want confirmation that their parents love them
- there are a finite number of hours in each day
- there is a finite amount of energy each parent has at any particular time
By spending time with your children on a one on one basis you are able to satisfy all these desires. The great thing about one on one time with your children is that you do not have to spend a lot of time or do a lot of expensive things in order to satisfy a child’s desire for one on one attention. The following are a few activities I have done with my children that made them feel special:
- ask child set the table to for dinner as you prepare dinner
- have your child read you a story as you drive to errands
- take your child to the local coffee shop to watch movies on your phone, tablet or laptop computer
- let your child help pay bills by picking a bill from the pile to be paid next
- brag to your child about a work accomplishment
- allow your child to sit and tell you her favorite thing that happened at school each day
- get one child up a few minutes earlier than the rest for hot chocolate time
- allow one child to stay up a few minutes later to share secrets
As this list shows, there are a lot of things you can do easily to give a child a little one on one attention and make the child feel special all at the same time. So, the question for you this serene day is, what are your tips for giving your children each one on one time and making them feel special?