Raising the Bar with Continuing Education
It is terrific to raise the bar with continuing education.This week we will look at raising the bar with continuing education.This article is not meant for people working in professions that have formal continuing education requirements.
photo credit: Al_HikesAZ via photopin cc
There are several types of people when it comes to education. There is one group who can’t wait for high school to be over so that they never have to learn anything again. Another group of people understand the importance of education so they set out to get the education required to achieve their professional goals. Then, there is another group of individuals who seek out every opportunity to learn as much as possible about as many things as possible. Rest assured and know that no matter which of the camps you fall into, you can raise the bar with continued education.
There are several reasons why an entrepreneur should continually educate herself, here are a few:
1. every area of business and enterprise develops improved operational systems
2. new ways to do things are created over time
3. laws governing how a business operates change over time
4. new players enter the business world and should be watched
There are a great number of ways to continue one’s education. The typical method of attending university classes is well known to most people. Today many universities offer degree programs via internet and distance learning rather than just through attendance in brick and mortar classrooms.
In these modern times, there are a myriad of ways to continue one’s education:
1. newspaper articles
2. blog articles
6. industry conferences
Another popular method of continuing education today is to take college courses on line from some of the top universities. The following is a list of some of the best universities in the country that offer courses on line. These courses are not for university credit, but they are from some of the best universities in the country:
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (mit.edu)
2. Open University (open.ac.uk)
3. Carnegie Mellon University (cmu.edu)
4. Tufts University (tufts.edu)
5. Stanford (stanford.edu)
6. University of California, Berkeley (berkeley.edu)
7. Utah State University (usu.edu)
8. Kutztown University of Pennsylvania (kutztownsbdc.org)
9. University of Southern Queensland (usq.edu.au)
10. University of California, Irvine (uci.edu)
If you are the kind of person who can get a textbook and learn a subject on your own, without guidance from a teacher or professor, check out the website sponsored by Open Culture http://www.openculture.com/free_textbooks
which provides more than 160 textbooks you can use to learn about quite a variety of subjects including foreign languages, economics, law and engineering.
This article has provided you with a tremendous number of resources and sources the entrepreneur can use for continuous education. So the question for you this terrific day is what do you do to continue your education?