It is wonderful to use your time between jobs to upgrade your skills in preparation for the new job.
When people are between jobs, often they take time and evaluate themselves, their skills and their place in the universe. They look at their good points, bad points and areas in need of improvement. If you find yourself unexpectedly between jobs, take the time to evaluate your skills, work habits, and character. Be objective and deep-reaching in your evaluation. This is not to say you should be hard on yourself, but that you should look at yourself and analyze yourself as an outsider would. Find out if there are any areas that are in need of an upgrade. If there are areas in need of an upgrade, then do it, upgrade yourself.
The following is a list of basic areas to check out:
- typing skills – many jobs require the use of a computer, the faster and more accurately you type, the better you can do the job
- industry knowledge – there are always advancements, improvements, new players and technology, if you have not kept up, take this time to do so
- social media platforms – almost every day there are new social media programs, businesses are getting more involved with social media every day
- procrastination – if this is a character trait you possess, take this time to learn how to take action when needed, rather than later
- attitude – if yours is in need of adjustment, take this time off to make the necessary improvements
It is important to upgrade your skills, work habits, and character while between jobs for several reasons. One of which is that potential employers like to know that a candidate strives for improvement. A second reason is that improved skills, work habits, and character make you a better candidate and better prepares you for the next job. The third, but perhaps most important reason to upgrade your skills, work habits, and character is that as a human being, you should always strive to put your best self forward. You should always look for ways to show the best of yourself to the world.
There are lots of different ways to upgrade yourself. There are a myriad of ways to get continuing education. The internet is chock full of articles on advice on how and where a person can improve oneself. Your local bookstore and library are treasure troves of information as well. Do not forget to use your social networks to get advice and assistance on the upgrades you desire.
In conclusion, it is wonderful to use your time between jobs to upgrade your skills and prepare for the future. So, the question for you this wonderful day is what skills do you have that need an upgrade?