It is a matter of common sense that you should keep your business facility clean. Be sure that all areas your customers come in contact with are clean, neat and orderly. Keep employee break areas and restrooms neat and well stocked with the appropriate supplies. Make sure employees keep their work areas tidy. A business that is dirty, dusty or sloppy gives an impression that the business is lacking in success. If you want customers and employees to think your business is successful with just a glance, make sure the place is clean and polished.
For your business, office spring cleaning should involve the following:
- file all information that has been sitting around on desks and tables
- review all taxes to make sure all returns are filed and payment plans made where appropriate
- gather all accounting reports and make sure you have up to date financial readily available
- check employee files to make sure all background checks are current and emergency contact information is up to date
- review clients files to make sure they are complete, up to date and properly filed
- review your business and strategic plans
- analyze the success of your marketing efforts and determine if changes are needed
- review your research and development plans to see what action is needed for the future
Use the spring cleaning session to make sure your employee files are up-to-date. If your business requires annual criminal background checks, be sure to get them done and have them easily accessible in employee files. Additionally, it is important to keep employee emergency contact information current. Phone numbers and addresses change on a regular basis. The time to have this information up-to-date and in order is before it is needed, not when an emergency occurs. Many entrepreneurs create business and strategic plans when they first start their businesses. Smart entrepreneurs update these plans and make sure they are being followed and amended as real-life circumstances require.
Spring cleaning is a good time for you to check out your business and strategic plans, make sure they are being followed and to make any necessary adjustments. This step could help make your business operations more efficient, profitable and on target. After the business and strategic plans have been reviewed, analyzed and adjusted as necessary, it is a good time to analyze the success of your marketing efforts to see how effective you have been at reaching target customers and prospects. Finally, this is also a good time to make decisions about research and development. If there is an area where your business could benefit from additional research and planning efforts, take this time to develop a strategy for moving forward in those areas.